A Pile of Dog Bones


“In each of us two natures are at war… the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be we are.” – Dr. Henry Jekyll

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Flight 93

For those of you who may not have guessed it, I live in New York City. There are an awful lot of things this city is famous for. We have Nathan's in Coney Island, the Yankees in the Bronx, the Unisphere in Queens, the Staten Island Ferry, and the Empire State Building. Over the last few years we have become more famous for something we no longer have, the Twin Towers (also known as the World Trade Center for you non-New Yorkers out there). It is true that the events of September 11, 2001 exist in the minds of all but the littlest of us here just as I am sure it does in other parts of the country.

So I heard about this story of a theater in downtown pulling a trailer for the movie United 93 (also known as Flight 93). I actually heard about it sometime yesterday from Freakzilla, and found it online this morning around 10:00am or so. It has taken me over 12 hours to decide whether or not to post about it. Yes, the events of September 11, 2001 still exist in my mind and perhaps more heavily than it should. So please understand that I decided to post my opinion on the movie and this sort of reaction it has caused here. Basically, I am limiting my scope otherwise this would end up a blubbery mess and that's not something for the here and now. See, there I go rambling again, sorry. Anyway...

So this movie trailer for United 93 got pulled out of some theaters because a few moviegoers were upset over the whole thing in downtown New York. The film itself is destined for the Tribeca Film Festival in late April (April 25? Bobby, is that right?), which I might add shows a bunch of movies around the site known as Ground Zero. So now the debate has started regarding films about 9/11 and whether or not the "timing" is right or whether or not it is appropriate. Then there is also the issue of the victims' families and how it affects them.

Here's where it gets icky... and of course I'll get a little nasty. So far the only thing I have seen negative about United 93 are from the families of victims who were NOT on Flight 93. Who the bloody fuck do we New Yorker's think we are? I mean really, how can we turn around and protest against the telling of the story of Flight 93 if our loved ones were not directly involved with that flight? Is it the family of the cow that MAY have been injured by the crash in that field in Pennsylvannia crying out against it? No.

I am all for honoring those people on Flight 93. A&E already did so with a movie called The Flight That Fought Back. I think that while that was a really good dramatization, I think this will truly put you into the experience. I think, being 4 years later, that this is fitting. I will be going to see the movie when it is released... and I will even see it in a theater. I will do so not to make Universal or the producers money. I will do so because 9/11 was a national tragedy and as a card carrying member of the United States I will honor those that died protecting it, whether at the time they knew it or not. Hell, I'll even buy a popcorn and a soda from the illegal Mexicano behind the counter when I go and not shake him down by yelling "INS!" like I normally do.

So why do New Yorker's have something to say about it? Because we have a corner on the market of 9/11 memories and tributes and we don't want to let it go? Give me a break. The fact of the matter is that Oliver Stone is getting ready to release a movie called World Trade Center in August. Now if your a New Yorker, and you want to express outrage over something, express it over that. I mean geez, they couldn't get Ang Lee? What about George Clooney? Why did we get stuck with that wack job who is obsessed with grassy knolls? Now that is something to be upset about!

I won't tell you how to feel about United 93. I won't tell you to see it. I won't tell you not to see it. I will tell you that this has nothing to do with timing, but in honoring in an honorable way. Do as you see fit... but don't bash other people's tributes just because you think it overshadows your own.

I will however tell any New Yorker reading this who is going to turn around and leave a rude ass comment that you need to think mother fucking twice about doing that. Why? Well aside from IP recording, remember that while you and yours were running across the Brooklyn Bridge on that bright September morning me and mine were driving into that shit. Oh, and if you happen to be one of the boys who came down to play on West Street that day, and you don't agree with me for whatever narcisstical reason and want to leave a nasty ass comment, well then come down and I'll tell you about New Orleans and how much harder of a core those cajuns are down there... because at least at 3:00am on September 12, 2001, I was able to get home for a shower and a change of clothes... and I didn't end up working and living out of a Wal*Mart parking lot for two months... and neither did you.

TAGS:,,,,
Posted by New York City's Watchdog :: 4/04/2006 08:22:00 PM :: :: 8 Bones Added to the Pile

Pick a Bone

<< Back To The Pile

..........:*:..........