A Pile of Dog Bones


“In each of us two natures are at war… the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be we are.” – Dr. Henry Jekyll

Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Dead Man killed Big Slick...

Oh, you didn’t know? Well your ass better call somebody… because I am back in the blogosphere!!!

Last night I took my entire paycheck, all whopping $523.17, and demanded in on the poker game where my “little buddy” Dartanion was playing. Technically I was $76.83 short of the minimum buy-in, but my old partner X staked me so I got a seat at the table.

After seven something hours of pushing chips back and forth I was clearly ahead of everyone. I got my hand, the Ace of Spades and the Eight of Clubs. The Dead Man’s Hand. Dartanion called the blind, but I raised, and then he came over the top with an all-in. I know right there I should have folded. This was almost a replay of the St. Patrick’s tournament. Yet, in my heart I had that feeling…

So I went over the top of his all-in by going all-in and putting into the pot my most beloved possession… my truck. I walked in there with the deed just for this moment. Of course he wasn’t putting his Jeep up, so I told him he could put the blogs up and I would consider that of equal worth. He laughed. He actually sat there and laughed at me.

Finally, after he stopped laughing and gave me a minute lecture of how in two weeks he has only made around 87 cents from the sites, he called. He had Big Slick suited for a party, the Ace of Diamonds and the King of Diamonds. Those watching our game either gasped or moaned when I showed my hand, since I was clearly dominated.

The flop came and it was the King of Hearts, the Ace of Clubs, and the Eight of Diamonds. We both had two pair but his was the better hand. The turn came out as the Five of Diamonds. Not only did his pair dominate me, but now he was also on a flush draw. I stood from the table ready to begin the long walk home after my failed bid to re-capture what is rightfully mine. The river card came… and it was red… the Eight of Hearts. For you non-poker educated people out there… that gave me a full house which won it all back.

It seemed to take him a minute to realize it, and slowly his smile faded as the chips, my truck deed, and the passwords to this blog were pushed to my seat. The Dead Man killed Big Slick in more ways than one.

So here I am once again sitting in my rightful seat here on the Pile. I’ve missed you all and want to thank you for your support, especially Luin, Kat, Stephanie, and of course Monique. It was a bit nerve wracking, but thanks to the support from everyone I made it through.

So what lessons have been learned? Well there is the obvious one that B and Izzy were kind enough to point out to me, never bet your blogs in a poker game. Well no duh guys… but I think there is more poignant lesson here. These blogs, those of a personal nature, are not money making machines nor are they a bunch of zeros and ones arranged in a pretty little way for shits and giggles… for they are also a part of our souls and what we put into them will be the level of satisfaction we get out of them. Which is also why I will have no more ads on this blog. Let's face it... and even the devil knows this... the soul is as priceless as you can get.

Thank you all once again for your support… and now… back to the business of plucking off the meat and sucking out the marrow here on A Pile of Dog Bones.
Posted by New York City's Watchdog :: 4/01/2006 03:00:00 PM :: :: 1 Bones Added to the Pile

Pick a Bone

<< Back To The Pile

..........:*:..........