A Pile of Dog Bones


“In each of us two natures are at war… the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be we are.” – Dr. Henry Jekyll

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Happy Fat Tuesday

So today is Fat Tuesday. For those of you not in the know, Fat Tuesday (also known as Shrove Tuesday to the French) precedes Ash Wednesday (tomorrow... duh) which begins the Christian Lenten season. Traditionally Lent is a time of sacrifice trying to represent how Jesus sacrificed his life for us so we could enter heaven. I've always found it a little odd that by me giving something up... like chocolate... would equal someone giving up their life.

Well to each their own I guess but what is more important is that the Lenten season inspired the holiday of Fat Tuesday where people fed, drank, and partied their hearts out... also known as Mardi Gras. I had intended on going to Mardi Gras in New Orleans this year. To be honest I have never been before and I wanted to go back to have a good time for a change. Unfortunately, due to work and a few other personal issues, it was not to be.

So I decided in honor of Fat Tuesday, and as an ode to New Orleans, here are a few pictures of my time in the Crescent City during the Hurricane Katrina Response:


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Bourbon Street: Bourbon Street wasn't the only Street singing the blues


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The 9th Ward: Still underwater on 9/14/05


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
NOLA Medical Station: Located across from the Aquarium and the Harrah's Emergency Operations Center


Image provided by Kari Walters of LSU
LSU Medical Station: The LSU Field Hospital in Baton Rouge


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Bad Parking Job: Beached boats were the norm


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
The Street of New Orleans: Empty and desolate... obviously NOT during Mardi Gras


I've watched on the news some of the Mardi Gras celebrations. Although everyone looks to be having a good time, the streets are half empty. A few miles away in the outer parishes, there is still alot of cleanup to be done and people continue to wait for the barest of necessities. Even Britney Spears, when not endangering the welfare of her child, is aware of the current situation.

The Crescent City was divided on whether or not to even hold this year's Mardi Gras. I am far from a party pooper or one to put a damper on a good time... but in a way I'm glad I didn't go. Seeing as how Lent is a time of sacrifice... well I think these people have sacrificed more than enough so a party is just what they need. But when I go, I'd prefer sights like this to be just a ghost of a memory:
Image courtesy of Big Steve Wilson, Servant of the Crown
St. Bernard's Parish: This is a house ON A CAR... and if you look real close on the plywood the words "God help us" have been spray painted. I don't know what happened to the occupants of this home... but I hope they are okay.



TAGS:, , , , , ,
Posted by New York City's Watchdog :: 2/28/2006 11:32:00 AM :: :: 3 Bones Added to the Pile

Pick a Bone

<< Back To The Pile

..........:*:..........