A Pile of Dog Bones


“In each of us two natures are at war… the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be we are.” – Dr. Henry Jekyll

Friday, August 25, 2006

Heh. When Distractions Piss You Off More...

So I've had a pretty shitty day today. So shitty I needed to distract myself from the shittiness. So I ran through the blogroll BBL style (Before Blog Lines) and read lotsa posts and left numerous comments. Something I really had been meaning to do for awhile because I know I've been slacking in the click-through area. So I ran through the updated ones and the ones I know don't ping blogrolling.com for whatever reason.

Still... I was left unsatisfied as to my level of distraction... so I resorted to the last resort of all resorts. I read the news.

Now this distracted me pretty well as the minutes ticked by before my Friday night foray in The Hills with my man KC... but instead of being in a shitty mood I went into a pissed off mode. Why? Well it turns out that New Orleans' Mayor Nagin was interviewed by Sixty Minutes. In fact, it is going to air this Sunday. CBS however decided to release one of his more outrageous comments to reporter Byron Pitts where he said, "That’s alright. You guys in New York can’t get a hole in the ground fixed and it’s five years later. So let’s be fair." You can read all about it like I unfortunately did right here.

Are. You. Fucking. Kidding. Me. So he actually thinks that criticizing New York's Ground Zero is a good defensive measure for his inability to get the job done? He's a punk. Plain and simple. Don't get me wrong... I'm all for speaking bluntly and all that... but he's a punk. An unintelligent punk at that. If he had a clue... and I stress JUST a clue... he would know that debris removal in New Orleans has already amounted to something like 37 World Trade Center sites.

It took 9 months for the debris at Ground Zero to be cleared. Keep in mind, that the actual rescue mission lasted an entire month so the debris removal was painstakingly slow during that time since it was a secondary goal. The recovery mission from that point on until January was similarily slow. When the actual removal operation started in January it grounded to a halt every time remains were found. So yes, it took 9 long and tedious months.

Yes... it has been 5 years and there is still a hole in the ground. However what should not be overlooked is the rebuilt WTC 7, which collapsed at around 4:30pm on that same September day. It should also be noted that the Freedom Tower construction began on April 27, 2006 after a re-design because of safety concerns. You can watch the build in progress over at Project Rebirth.

I suppose what really pisses me off about this, is that even though everyone readily admits that Katrina caused disaster on a much greater scale and affected a greater area, he still feels the need to drag us into this as a shield for his own ineptness. Sure there are some internal New York politics that have slowed the rebuild... but the clean-up didn't slow because of that. It slowed because of the respect shown for the lives lost of people who came from all over.

I feel so sorry for the people of New Orleans right now. They're stuck with this punk for the next 4 years. At this rate... it'll be 5 years before they can go home.

Pitiful really. Now I'm all sad and shit. I need me some trauma.
Posted by New York City's Watchdog :: 8/25/2006 08:21:00 PM :: :: 3 Bones Added to the Pile

Pick a Bone

<< Back To The Pile

..........:*:..........