A Pile of Dog Bones


“In each of us two natures are at war… the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be we are.” – Dr. Henry Jekyll

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Loyalty, Lost My Coffee Buddy, and a New Editor

I found this quote in this article on AOL:

"We've seen people turn down jobs because they have a fear of resigning," said Weisenburgh. "We tell them that loyalty goes up from the worker to the company. It doesn't often go down. A manager is there for the sake of the manager. An employee is there for the sake of the manager, too."


While initially it has offended me, it has also given me cause to think. Now, as a manager, I prefer to think of myself as loyal to my employees provided they show the company and myself the same type of loyalty. Yet, at the same time, I have to keep in mind that I too have managers. While there is a lot of background information missing… let’s just say that while I’m currently not at my lowest point, I am back where I was 3 years ago. This after spending the two+ weeks in New Orleans and three+ weeks in Texas that were technically on their behalf. I suppose the question at this point becomes, how much longer will my loyalty be appreciated? Maybe it’s time to send out the resume’… but at the same time starting a new job is not on my list of favorite things to do.

The Steff started her new job yesterday. I called her at around 9:00ish to see if she wanted to go for coffee, but she was working. She said she was going to call me when she got out… but this is The Steff who you’ll learn will never call when she says she will, and never be where she says she’s going to be. So at midnight, with no call, I sent her a text message in case she wanted a wake-up call this morning. The reality that I’ve lost my coffee buddy hit me pretty damn hard to be honest. Yet, in a way, now I can dedicate some time at night to my writing and not be able to use her as an excuse. Of course… she woke me up at 1:00am after getting my message. I don’t remember much of the conversation… only that she has to be in work at 1:30 this afternoon so I THINK I’m calling her at noon.

On a good note, I got my query letter from Scrye this week. I hadn’t heard from them since October, and unfortunately I had been in Texas when the deadline came and went. So I guess I’m still on their list for freelancing… which is always a good thing. Unfortunately, it isn’t the same editor. Apparently Joyce Greenhold (the editor) farmed out the work to the Associate. The editor I had before Joyce was Jason Winter, and I think he was the one I most connected with even though we only spoke over e-mail. The new guy is James Mishler, so we’ll see what develops.


Posted by New York City's Watchdog :: 1/11/2006 10:43:00 AM :: :: 0 Bones Added to the Pile

Pick a Bone

<< Back To The Pile

..........:*:..........