A Pile of Dog Bones


“In each of us two natures are at war… the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be we are.” – Dr. Henry Jekyll

Saturday, January 27, 2007

Self Control Or Getting Old

It has always been said that the older you get, the wiser you become. The vast majority of my life has seen me as a brash and aggressive individual. This morning, for whatever reason, was different.

The first thing that happened is something that has only happened one other time in my career. Tonight, a patient rapidly descended while being transferred to the stretcher. To make matters worse, said patient had been shot in the head. Guess which ended descended rapidly? Right. Normally I would have lost my mind, pushed the incompetent one out of the way with a boot, and taken it from there. Instead I remained calm, still got them out of the way, and got the job done.

The second thing that happened is something I see too much of and have zero tolerance of. It was, to put it bluntly, disrespect. I wasn't the one disrespected, the person asking for guidance in doing something was disrespected and wrongfully so. The truth is I could understand their confusion because I had created an unusual situation in my actions and to get through it they just needed a little guidance. Under normal circumstances that would have resulted in a physical altercation because I not only find it disrespectful to this person, but to myself as well. It downright pissed me off... but I bit my tongue and withheld myself.

So now I am left pondering what it is that has occurred. Have I matured and developed self-control? Or is it just that I'm getting too old?
Posted by New York City's Watchdog :: 1/27/2007 05:21:00 AM :: :: 6 Bones Added to the Pile

Pick a Bone

<< Back To The Pile

..........:*:..........