A Pile of Dog Bones


“In each of us two natures are at war… the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be we are.” – Dr. Henry Jekyll

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Oh You Didn't Know...

... yeah, I just got out of the hospital. The surprise to end all surprises is that my crappy feeling lately wasn't so much a mental issue but a real physical one. Me, being the good EMT I am, ignored it all and of course I ended up in the hospital delirious with fever and a swollen limb.

So let's start at the beginning... well at least last Friday. I went home Friday night, overdosed on some Ny-Quil and ended up sleeping until 1:00ish on Saturday. I blew The Steff off for an AC Moore run because I was still beat, did some chatting online instead, and took a shower before heading to MSG for Fight Night. When I got out of the shower I had some serious cramps in my left leg and I was feeling all lightheaded and stuff. I shrugged it off to the cold I was coming down with and possibly dehydration. Grabbed a gatorade and a meatball sandwhich and off I went. The meatball sandwhich stayed in my stomach a grand total of 5 minutes before ending up on the passenger seat of the truck. Bad meat. I kept going.

Nevermind the fact that when I got to the base I was exhausted and weak. OPS didn't notice but my wolves in dispatch did... but I kept going. It took me an hour and a half to get to MSG. I was over an hour late, and when I got there it was physically impossible for me to get out of the ambulance. Eventually I hobbled down to the medical office... did 4 hours out of my scheduled 8... and then went home to sleep again.

Sunday my temp was up and down... 101.3... 102.1... 100.7... 1003.9. Yep... I peaked at 103.9, and found myself in an ice tub of cold water to bring the temp down. Of course, I refused to go to the hospital. I had already cancelled out of the ECW PPV at the Manhattan Center so what was the point. It was just a stomach flu right? A couple more gallons of Gatorade and I would be okay like always.

Finally Monday I went to my doctor's office. Monday morning when I tried to get up, I could barely walk. Lifting my left pant leg I caught sight of the problem. Cellulitus. F. U. C. K.

I really didn't need to go to the doctor's office to get told to go to the hospital... but I did it anyway because I was thinking that since Friday there may have been a miracle cure discovered I didn't know about and the doctor I haven't seen in 7 years might have been the one to discover it. Nope. So off to the hospital I went. I had a 102.5 temp upon admission... doplar was good... IV anti-biotics running... percoset was onboard... and I was done.

I'm not going to bore you with the details of my hospital stay, with the mystery meat, the hot Ubekistan Nurse Aide who gave me a sponge bath, the paralysing rounds of IV anti-b's, the obnoxious troll who lied about flippin' my roomy slick Willy, or my other roomy Carl "Cobblestones" O'Hoolihan and his globe trotting family. What I will tell you is I had/have is officially called LYMPHEDEMA CELLULITIS LYMPHANGITIS... and yes... I will live.

I've actually only been home for about 5 hours... and while I see there are 71 e-mails and 237 posts in bloglines to read alone... well... I'll get to it when I can. I just figured I'd leave a quick note to let everyone know that yes I am alive... and no I did not forget about you.

Thanks... and have a nice day.
Posted by New York City's Watchdog :: 6/15/2006 07:37:00 PM :: :: 12 Bones Added to the Pile

Pick a Bone

<< Back To The Pile

..........:*:..........