A Pile of Dog Bones


“In each of us two natures are at war… the good and the evil. All our lives the fight goes on between them, but one of them must conquer. In our own hands lies the power to choose. What we want most to be we are.” – Dr. Henry Jekyll

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Brokeback Mountain and Izzy

Normally Monday’s are a day filled with anxiety and stress as the first day of the work week usually leads into a restless night of sleep. Last night however went a little bit differently.

First of all, I left work at 6:45pm as opposed to my normal 9:00pm. Not only did I leave early… but I left out of uniform. Then, instead of going to my normal haunts, I went and picked up Izzy. Together we went to a theater in Astoria… and we saw… GASP… Brokeback Mountain aka The Kissing Cowboy Movie.

This is not a movie I would normally see in the theaters, but, I was with Izzy. As a movie, it was good. As some rave ideological film it has been made out to be, well, I’m really not feeling it. Don’t get me wrong, the acting was great. Heath Ledger for all his worth finally put out a solid performance since The Patriot. Sure there were some torrid guy on guy scenes where I thought about covering my eyes, but really, I don’t think they were that big of a deal.

I think what was more compelling was the back story. Not so much the relationship between Jack and Ennis… but really the effect that it had on their families. Let’s face it, there is a higher level of awareness regarding the homosexual lifestyle including discrimination and violence against it. Parental disapproval has been well documented in a number of places.

What the homosexual community itself continues to keep in the closet is the effect it has had on the lives of those heterosexuals who were unwilling partners in a sexual orientation cover up. The self destruction of Ennis’ family is the prime example of that which is rarely spoken of. There was light at the end of the tunnel for Alma (Elma?) though… she did remarry and his daughters seemed to turn out alright.

Today was also the announcement of the Oscar Nominations. So, with Brokeback Mountain leading the pack, the levels of awareness continue to expand for the gay community. Hopefully, people will be able to see past the exterior of the film, and awareness will grow of the other victims of sexual orientation bias… those that were used as shields.

*


Now that I’m through with the political piece, on with the drama. Last we saw Izzy, I had left her standing in the cold for over an hour and without a kiss. You will all be happy to know that the temperature in New York has been unseasonably mild… and that yes… I kissed her. Well… okay… she kissed me first… at hello. During the movie we held hands and rested atop each other. After the movie… more kissing. Whatever nerves I had disappeared, and for the first time in a very very very long time… I was relaxed.

After saying goodnight to her last night, I couldn’t get her out of my mind. Sure enough… she called me when I got home… and she was the last thing I heard before going to sleep. Luckily… I saved a voicemail she left me from the other night… and so this morning I listened to it when I first got up… so she was the first thing I heard this morning (well, right after the alarm clock). Let’s face it, she makes me feel like I haven’t felt in a long time… alive… and it is a feeling I had truly missed.

Posted by New York City's Watchdog :: 1/31/2006 11:36:00 AM :: :: 2 Bones Added to the Pile

Pick a Bone

<< Back To The Pile

..........:*:..........